Friday, February 21, 2014

I HAVE RENOUNCED MYSELF OF MEN
i vow off their easy attentions
their long, captivating looks
captive no more
dog, you can't have this bone

i don't care if that makes me less than a speck in your book
a speck of dust in your book
too many that you own

you silly man
you have no idea what it is to be me
you have all your clubs of belonging
arms ready to pull you to where you belong to be
oh don't worry,
you think this pretty face is all i need
but when i turn it away (and i'm turning)
is there anything else you see?
no one, ever, expects me to speak.

i don't want your protection.
i'll let this anger take care of me.
to all the fathers of the world,
you are so needy.
you need my respect. why do you need me to feel pleased?
in return, you promise me things. how stupid could you be

i'm tired of parting my legs
i want to do the parting or not at all
i'm tired of being won over only to be left
i want to do the parting or not at all

my father reminds me he is dying
he wants the world's pity.
but the world is ending
and i think the world will end and take them all, wee
at least that's what i heard
men have outgrown their need
one, two, three and let me be

four, you, i haven't even made it to thinking of you.

i've spent the last 3 years resisting vanity
i really don't even want you to look at me
a flower no more
a scab i'll be

so unremarkable a thing to be a girl romantic,
so stabbing, so enflamed a thing to not.

1 comment: