Wednesday, November 11, 2009

the winners rewrite history

it's funny, but I think being sick (finally! - the worst part was waiting for the inevitable) has helped focus me on a few things. things in my head.
I'm not suggesting the body as a distraction from anything important. A careful distinction - I'm suggesting involvement in the daily routine as a distraction, an involvement that normally requires a healthy body. It's been great to get out of the routine a bit and regroup.
reshrink.
recapitulate.
I don't know if anybody but me ever obsessed over the boardgame Risk (nevermore - I promise), but the winning strategy was always careful containment of power, to never spread oneself thin, until the very end - the moment of truth.
Social dynamics a bit like risk (where's the verb in this preceding sentence? hiiiiiding). We have multiple moments of truth in our game whose different sizes (importances? truthinesses?) are relative to the risk required to attain them (triumph over the moment, not the truth - but maybe it's the same thing [how cynical!]), but the basic strategy remains the same - keep your energy close around you until you really need it.
We can see another analogy in gravitational dynamics (as always - I hope this doesn't come as a surprise) - those heavy little stars last much, much longer then the big, spread out ones that end up collapsing or blowing up.
collapsing or blowing up - this is the consequence of overextension.
Not that I'm trying to judge - both of these are equally valid forms of creative-destruction/destructive-creation/change - but (applied to all the metaphors at once now) until I want my little pieces of star/plastic tanks and horses to mix with all the other colors and planets and shiny bits of flesh around me, that is to say, until someone buys a better board-game than Risk, I think I'll play it close and choose tact over excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment